Homemade Butter

I can't decide yet if this is a Pinterest fail or not. I'm currently leaning towards no, but it was pretty up in the air for a while. I did find this recipe on Pinterest and I was like, "Seriously this looks so easy." And honestly it should have been, but I'm me and everything has to be complicated. There's really no recipe for this, all you do is put heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Put a towel over the top because it is so messy. Insanely messy. It got so splashy that my original towel was so soaked through that I had to get another one halfway through the process. It kept dripping all over the counter.

Messy
Anyway, first it'll be whipped cream, fluffy and yummy. But then keep beating, and it will start to curdle and then it'll separate into the fat (butter) and liquid (buttermilk) parts. There's really no way to watch it as it's happening if you use a towel, you could probably use some plastic, like from a shower curtain or something, if you wanted. But I periodically pulled the towel back to check on it. Make sure you slow it down before you pull the towel back or it'll 100% splash you in the face, guaranteed. So anyway, it's supposed to be done when the solids all stick in a clump to the paddle and the liquid's in the bottom, but I think I beat mine too long and skipped straight past that part because mine just looked like creamed butter, no solid/liquid separation. You should probably throw in some salt or else it kind of tastes like nothing. I used 1 pint of cream and used ¼ teaspoon of salt. Or more, up to you.
When I probably should have stopped
In order to test this out, I made my favorite sandwich ever, the pizza grilled cheese. But the results were pretty inconclusive. We didn't have any white bread, only 12-grain, which is basically the worst bread to ever exist. Like, when this sandwich is on white bread, you can taste the difference when you use a good butter on the bread and in the pan as opposed to margarine or Pam. But the pure awfulness of the bread basically ruined any butter flavor that may have or may not have happened. But I'm on vacation now, I'll try again when I get home!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Caramel Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats and Churros

Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake