Pancake Cupcakes with Maple Frosting

I reverted back to my old ways again and made cupcakes. I really can't help myself. It's my culinary comfort zone. At least these were interesting enough to warrant my cheating. I had made them way back in tenth grade for a church breakfast and loved them. So the other night I was really craving some kind of breakfast item, and I immediately thought of these to try again. And a bonus, my beautiful friend Karianne who I love and adore was there to bake with me! Admittedly, I am a kitchen control freak, but I did let her help and it was wonderful to have the company.

Pancake Cupcakes with Maple Frosting from Brown Eyed Baker
Ingredients
Cake
2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1½ cups of whole milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled

Frosting
2 sticks of butter, room temperature
2½ cups of powdered sugar
3 tablespoons of maple syrup (I just used pancake syrup)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat that oven to 400! And just get this out of the way, put paper liners in 1 cupcake tray (12 cupcakes) and spray them realllly good with non-stick cooking spray. I cannot stress enough the importance of this step. I sprayed my liners, but not thoroughly and the paper stuck to the cake which is gross. I mostly missed around the top which is basically the most important, so be THOROUGH. Now you can start the batter. Put all your dry ingredients in a bowl (I didn't use an electric mixer for this, just a mixing bowl and a whisk). Then combine your wet stuff in a liquid measuring cup. Pour it all into the flour/sugar/BP/salt and mix it all up. Couldn't be easier! Like with regular pancakes, lumps are a-okay. Divide the batter evenly among the 12 liners and bake for 12ish minutes until they're totally firm.

For the frosting, whip up the butter with an electric mixer for a couple minutes until it's really nice and creamy. Add the powdered sugar a little a time so you don't make a mess. Once it's all incorporated, whip it again for a couple minutes til it's looking kinda fluffy. Then add in the syrup and vanilla. It's a pretty soft frosting, so if it looks a little thin or runny, whip it some more or add a bit of powdered sugar until it doesn't fall off a spatula held vertically. Then pipe or spread as you like! For me, the frosting was really yummy, but a little sweet. And while the cake is un-sweet enough to handle it, I thought the savory flavor from the bacon was exactly what the cupcake needed to round it out. 
Reviews
Personally, I loved these. They were exactly what I was craving. I also brought them into work and heard positive reviews. My wonderful cousin/coworker Ashley texted me after having one for breakfast saying "Cupcakes were amazing!" with a cute little emoji after. I definitely recommend these if you're a breakfast person!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caramel Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats and Churros

Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Homemade Butter