Bananas Foster

First, before I get started with my adventures this weekend, I'd like to apologize for my lack of posts recently. The problem is, I was making stuff, I just kept forgetting to take pictures, and by the time I remembered, they had been demolished. So to catch up, I made more patriotic sugar cookies for 4th of July, kind of like the ones I made for Memorial Day. Except I wanted them to be jazzier, so I tried to make fireworks (google "firework sugar cookies martha stewart"), but I failed horribly. I timed it all wrong and it didn't work out, so I just made fun designs on them. Then, last weekend I made a lemon meringue pie, which was absolutely delicious. And then Wednesday I made raspberry frozen yogurt. I didn't churn it long enough, so it ended up more like a sorbet than a froyo, but it was still tasty! And now we're caught up, which brings me to yesterday...
This is a bananas foster creme brûlée. I had so much hope for this dessert. I love bananas foster, I love creme brûlée, and I have a fancy torch that I've never actually used for anything other than indoor s'mores. I found the recipe on Pinterest and I was so excited. But it was awful. It really just sucked. The flavor was weird, it was kind of chunky (I think I should have blended it longer), and it was just an all around disappointment. My mom texted me "The texture is yuck. Not your best." Thanks, Mom. So I had to make it up to myself, both to preserve my pride and to actually make something I want to eat. Today, I kept it simple. I just made plain old bananas foster, and I could not have been happier:)
Look it's on fire!!
Bananas Foster- from The Pioneer Woman (could she be any more amazing?)
Yields 6, but I halved it and made 3 servings
Ingredients
1 stick of butter
1 cup of dark brown sugar
⅔ cup of heavy cream
½ cup of dark rum
2 whole bananas, cut in diagonal chunks
sprinkle of ground cinnamon
My fancy "mise en place," it's almost like I'm a professional
Directions
Start by melting your butter in a heavy skillet, then add in your brown sugar. Stir it up until it's smooth, then add the heavy cream. Once that starts to bubble up, add the rum. This isn't altogether necessary, but it's definitely fun. Put a lighter over the steam where the alcohol is evaporating, and light the fumes! Just let it burn until it puts itself out, which it will after like 30 seconds. Wasn't that fun?! Sprinkle in the cinnamon, and it's done! You can either eat it all by itself, or pour it over ice cream. Either way it's positively scrumptious, and insanely easy. My darling friends Karianne and Shanna were along as my helpers, and they were even impressed by how easy it was!

Reviews
I will definitely be making this again. Banana and caramel is such a delicious combination, and the rum makes it extra special. So fantastic. It's all stuff I almost always just have around the house, so how could I possibly resist? MAKE IT. MAKE IT NOW!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caramel Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats and Churros

Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Homemade Butter